At 6 months, many children...
- respond to own name
- respond to other people’s
- emotions and often seem happy
- copy sounds
- like to play with others, especially parents
At 1 year, many children...
- use simple gestures, like shaking head “no” or waving “bye-bye”
- say “mama” and “dada” and exclamations like “uh-oh!”
- copy gestures
- respond to simple spoken requests
At 11/2 years, many children...
- play simple pretend, such as feeding a doll
- point to show others something interesting
- show a full range of emotions, such as happy, sad, angry
- say several single words